They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself. - Andy Warhol, The Philosophy of Andy Warhol - US artist (1928 - 1987)

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

The Original Diva



Last night, we went to see Diana Ross in concert. It was one of the best concerts I have ever seen. It brought back so many memories as I have heard her music most of my life. My Mother played her music quite a bit as I was growing up.

Diana Ross is one of the few remaining legends. The concert was to be based on her latest album "I love You." It is a more mellow, Sunday morning sort of album, mainly covers of songs. The concert was anything but mellow, she came out in all her Diana Ross glory singing "I'm comin Out" and sang most of her numerous hits. She also sang "Ease on down the road" from The Wiz. As she was singing this song, someone in the audience was dressed up like the lion from the film and was dancing in the isles.



She worked her way through her songbook and as only a true Diva would, had 5 costume changes. She dedicated a song to Barry Gordy Jr. who was in the audience. At the end of the concert, she mentioned that her father had passed away and asked all her family on stage. A sad way to end a more than memorable evening. The only thing she did not do is the scene from Mahogany where she is in the car with Tony Perkins and she grabs her hair, pulls it to the side and screams "TAKE MY FREAKIN PICTURE!" I so love that scene.

Ultimately, we had a more than amazing evening. If you ever get an opportunity to see this legend on stage. Do not pass it up.

3 comments:

The Balunky Journals said...

wow, i can imagine it was just fab.. the original diva!!

Sterling G. Smith said...

Diana Ross is in a different league!! Did she sing "When you tell me that you love me"? That song is me and my boyfriends song. So moving and romantic.

dit said...

I am pretty sure she did sing that song. It was an amazing concert.